Jerin Writes an Essay
Most of you know that Jerin is the consumate explorer. She would rather plot hurricanes on a map or spend time in the woods or on the beach than play video games or ride a bike. So, it should be no surprise that she would want to enter National Geographic Kid's Everyday Explorer Contest. For the contest, she had to provide a picture and an essay for judging. Of course, she put it off to the last minute, but she got it done...and, well, if she doesn't win, someone in NY needs a beat down. It's awesome, and here it is...
Everyday Explorer
I am Jerin Dinkins age 10. I love to explore almost anywhere. In this picture I am exploring the Illinois Valley in Southern Oregon. I like it there because it is home to many rare and unique plants. I like looking for knob cone pine trees and Brewer Spruce trees in all the other trees of the forest.
In this picture I am studying Pitcher Plants also known as cobra lily or Darlingtonia Californica. They are very unique because they are only known to grow in Oregon and California. These plants are actually carnivorous. They eat bugs! Insects fly up into the head of the plant and get stuck inside. Eventually they will die and fall to the bottom where they will soon be digested. I like to see the bugs that are being digested by the plants.
The Pitcher Plants need very slow running water known as a fen. You can barely see the water moving. There are many fens around the Illinois River Valley and that is where I go to see these spectacular rare plants.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home